CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Pages

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Ornament Wreath Tutorial

DSCN0599I know, I know it’s not even Halloween yet and I’m creating Christmas decorations! I’ll admit I’m all over the place creatively lately.  I’ve got several projects going at once that range from rag quilts to Halloween wreaths to something to display the laneybug’s masterpieces.

I got my inspiration from a wreath I spotted over at ourfinehouse.com.  I had seen a lot of similar wreaths on Pinterest, but the base of the wreaths were wire hangers.  Being a child of the 70’s I had seen Mommy Dearest too many times and got rid of all my wire hangers Smile, so I liked the idea of a foam form.

It really wasn’t until I was editing my photos for this post that I actually realized that this wreath is definitely still a work in progress.  I could see several spots where the foam form was still visible and it needs “rounded off” a bit, but you’ll get the general idea.
Here’s what you’ll need:
  • foam wreath form ( I used 12” white foam from Pat Catan's)
  • LOTS of shatterproof Christmas balls in your choice of colors (I hit the JACKPOT at Ollie's and scored 8 packs of the large balls for 29 cents a pack!!! I also got 30 smaller balls for just over 3 bucks). There are over 100 ornaments on my wreath already and again it’s still in progress.
  • about 3 feet of ribbon (again I lucked out again and got an entire roll at Dollar General for $1)
  • glue gun
  • a metric ton of glue sticks (seriously, you need a LOT of glue sticks.  I think I used at least 20)
  • PATIENCE
DSCN0577

  Here’s everything!!!



DSCN0578




First off I hot glued the ribbon to the foam base.  In retrospect I probably would not have done this again.  I think I would have been better off waiting until the end and looping ribbon directly over the ornaments.  That would have been easier and then you could change out the ribbon if you wanted.  Oh well, learn from your mistakes!



Then I popped off the little silver hangers.  The first few balls I just stuck some hot glue on the tip and held it in place.  I wasn’t happy with the results so I actually got a wire skewer to create holes in the foam that I could put the hot glue in to and then place the tip of the bulb into that.  I liked those results a lot better.
DSCN0580DSCN0594

Then I started gluing away.  At first I was just randomly placing ornaments, but then my OCD kicked in and I began plotting my next move.  Either way I think you’ll get the same results and have a LOT of wholes to fill in at the end.
DSCN0592

And then I glued and glued and glued some more.  Then I went to sleep, got up in the morning, made the bug some breakfast and starting gluing again and this is what I had made:DSCN0596

So, now it was time to break out the smaller ornaments and start gluing again!!!!DSCN0597

And when it was all said and done, VOILA DSCN0599
I can not stress enough that it’s still a work in progress, but I think with the addition of some more smaller ornaments to the middle and some larger ornaments to the periphery to round it out, it will be awesome.

Hope you enjoy!
~ Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment