CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Pages

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Upcycled Christmas Decorations

Well, Christmas crafting is occurring at a feverish pace around here.  Last year I developed a small obsession with pallets thanks to Pinterest.  I had dreams of a pallet palace, but that dream died quickly when I realized how difficult it is to find QUALITY pallets around here.  I did, however, pick a few up roadside and they sat, collecting dust in my garage until just a few weeks ago.  While reorganizing the disaster I call a one car, I’ll never see a car inside of me garage I decided to cut up the pallets to save room. 

Then it hit me…..CHRISTMAS IS COMING!!!! I remembered the cutest wood sign I saw over at Eyeballs by Day, Crafts by Night and thought that some of the pieces I had cut would be the perfect size.  So began my adventure with Christmas crafting using reclaimed wood.  OK so it wasn’t reclaimed from a cool barn or anything, but it WAS reclaimed from that place that was just gonna throw it away.  Maybe we should call it Christmas crafting with rescued wood.  There – that’s sounds better.

Anyhow, I grabbed a piece of my rescued wood, slapped on a couple coats of Glidden Candy Apple Red paint and I had the base for THE CUTEST little Christmas stocking wall hanger I have ever seen.  You see I have neither a fireplace nor a mantle, so my poor Christmas stockings have lived haphazardly tied onto the wrought iron railing in the living room and people that’s just wrong!!!!
A few rusty tin stars from Pat Catan's and some white lettering cut out on my fabulous little Cricut mini and HERE IT IS:
DSCN0737

Oh my goodness, I almost forgot the knobs.  Three of the cutest little drawer pulls that I got for 50% off at Hobby Lobby and we have perfection.  Alright, maybe not perfection, but it’s freakin’ cute!!!!

Then I figured I already have the red paint and the wood, why not try something else?  So I cut three pieces about 5 inch wide, sanded them down and painted them with my Candy Apple red. The next part involves one of my favorite things in the world, call it an addiction if you will – GLITTER! Glitter makes me happy, happy, happy.  As a matter of fact, I have been known to say that Glitter is a single, crafty woman’s crack cocaine!!!

Anyway, I just happened to have some silver glitter card stock lying around.  So, I cut out some more letters on the Cricut mini and slapped them on with some Mod Podge.  Then I got to use another one of my favorite products – GLITTER MOD PODGE.  I was in Heaven……aaaahhhhh.DSCN0745

Once the glitter Mod Podge was all dry and I came down from my crafter’s high, I stapled some fabulous grosgrain ribbon on the back.  I also hammered a saw-toothed picture hanger to the top of the top block. 
I still have plenty of rescued wood left.  I’m not exactly sure what I’m going to craft with it just yet, but I’ll keep you in the loop!
As always – HAPPY CRAFTING!!!



- Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment